Sunday, August 17, 2008

Your Opinion Please!

So now that I am the proud mother figure of a beautiful twelve year old several things have come up and I am seeking your advice.

1. Make-up. How much for a twelve year old starting seventh grade? I am fine with an ash colored eyeliner on the bottom lashes and brown mascara, but she wants more....your opinions please.

2. Bedtime. The school bus picks up at 7:30am with school starting at 8:30am. We have generally done an 8 to 8:30 bedtime with our children but I am not sure what to do for an older child....opinions again please.

Well, these are the two big concerns in the family right now so let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

well, my "sleep bible" says that a 12 year old required 9 hours of sleep. Maybe add some wind down time to that and...
As far as the make-up---I vote for just lip gloss!

Bobi Jensen said...

My opinion--even though I have no credibility since I've never had a 12 year old...

I'd keep the same bed-time for everyone just for your own sanity, but maybe she could be allowed a special privelege like a lamp in her room to read later than the others or read quietly on the couch or something. That would help with winding down anyway.

I was allowed to start wearing make-up as a 12 year old, and oh my I'm sure I looked horrible with all my shades of purple, but its a funny memory now and don't know as it hurt anything. Although now that I'm a mom I think I'll be a lot more conservative and I'd stick with limiting it to lipgloss and mascara or something!

What you said you feel comfortable with sounds like good limits.

elements: overexposed said...

Make-up: I wasn't allowed to wear until summer before 9th and only mascara and lip gloss. I would have been thrilled to do that in the 7th! I would limit it to just those two items. She'll thank you later!

Bed time: That's a hard one cause I couldn't ever fall asleep. I would say 9:00-9:30p.m. with some reading time/magazines/scriptures...

Again, you're asking someone who doesn't have children...oh but I am very wise!

Anonymous said...

Shay you are already beautiful so don't over due on the make-up. lip gloss, masscrara,maybe eye liner, but take it easy. don't over due it.
bed time should be no later than
8;30-9. you need to consider the other kids and not keep them up. but I think the idea of a small lamp to read for awhile is a good idea.Grandma H.

Mike and Kelly said...

I agree with just mascara and lipgloss, maybe a light blush or pale shadow. Nothing dark. In Highschool I would let her have more. As for bedtime, My mom bumped it up an hour, so 9-9:30 because the homework is a lot more, especially with after-school sports. In Highschool we set our own bedtime. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I'm a little late checking into your blog! I wasn't aloud to wear anything until my 13th birthday which was the summer before 8th grade and i was only aloud CLEAR mascara and lip gloss. I think that was a good idea. Any girl under 16 or 17 can get a little crazy with the eye makeup! And the bed time - I think I would do 9 - be in bed, 9:30 or 10 lights out. Good luck. Teenage girls at least one that is mine, are scary. I thank my lucky stars....

Contributors