Yesterday three of my four kids needed to visit the doctor. Clover was sick, Sunny was stuffy and is having skin issues, and Zoie ran out of Flovent and has some strange looking moles on her back and chest and is just having too many appear lately. I called the doctors office directly in the morning and asked for an appointment with my doctor for the three kids at the same time....she said, "No Problem" and I had my appointment set at 3:45pm that same day.
We arrived at the office at the appointed time and parked right outside the entrance door and walked right in and up to the check in window and announced our arrival. We sat in the waiting room for about five minutes before the friendly nurse Angie beckoned us back to our adorable professionally painted 'choo-choo train' themed room with a train as the patient bed. She took all three of the kids vitals, gave stickers to each including Dalton who was just there for moral support, and then stepped out telling us that Dr. Moore (our pediatrician of choice) would be with us shortly.
Dr. Moore arrived clean, courteous, full of energy, and immediately asked me what was going on while standing face to face with me and made eye contact the entire time. After seeing the number of moles on Zoie's body he said it was worth a visit to the dermatologist and gave me a referral and gave me a years worth of Flovent refills. With Sunny he comforted her by talking quietly to her during the assessment and then gently rotated her head to check her ears... nothing to worry about with her and her skin is nothing more than some over active oil glands. With Clover there was no flu but there is an ear infection. He wrote me a prescription with the council to fill it if I want. I can wait a few days to see if it clears up on its own or fill it now, whatever I want.
After the appointment we drove three hundred feet to the pharmacy's drive up window and put in our order for the meds, picked it up thirty minutes later (during that time I dropped the kids off at home because their dad was now home and went and picked up a pizza for dinner) and then went home and cooked the pizza for dinner.
You might be asking yourself "yeah...so...what's the big deal!" and I will tell you that things just do not work like this in the military. From getting a same day appointment WITH my pediatrician to the quick and courteous service, to getting the referral with out being the residents guinea pig first. I loved it...being civilian is a GREAT thing!
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Aaah Civilian Life
Posted by Conder Family at 8:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
It is a great thing!!! It is nice to be able to pick the doctor you want and see that same doctor every time!!
I am so glad Kim is happy and approves of the civilian life.... cause Love, I'm NOT going back!
I'm enjoying this new life/chapter too....
Stevey
Hooray for you and your family! I know you have wanted this for a while now. I'm also happy that the doctor was so kind, gentle and patient. You never know what you are going to get! What a great day for you!
I LOVED every detail! The bummer comes when you realize that you don't get it for free! Haha!
I am DROOLING with utter jealousy and longing for your experience. Adam is going to have his first miserable appt since he was 2 weeks old. He's almost 2!!! They call it free healthcare, I call it noncare. They should forget the word "care" all together, because they don't!
We're right on your tails, civilian skies are rolling in.
I have heard horror stories with the well baby check ups and prenatal visits. I am not looking forward to that at all.
Yeah, when Aaron is done with school next May and we owe the military 4 years, I am not looking forward to using the military medical care.
I have just heard stories from like Kelly and Irene. Sounds like such a hassle.
Dr. Joseph Moore? This is one family I wanted to tell you about when you moved to I.F.
I grew up with his wife Sheralee in Colonia Juarez Mexico. This is an awesome family. They have 5 boys.
I am so happy he is your Doctor. What a small world!!
Post a Comment