Thursday, April 24, 2008

C.C. Theft

So last night I just had to get out of the house. I have been cooped up all week with a sick baby and the confines of my home was the last place I wanted to be.

I decided Target was just the place for me so I went and browsed the clothing department to my little hearts content. Of all things I found a pair of crop pants that were pretty cute and were begging to be purchased by me. I go to the register and do the debt card swipy thing and I was DECLINED! Big "HMMMMM" escapes my lips (there was definitely enough money in our account for this purchase) and the cashier asks if I want to use another form of payment....no thank you, there is definitely something bigger going on here and those crop pants aren't worth my time anymore...interesting how quickly priorities can change.

As I am leaving the store I call Stevey tell him what happened and so he hopped on the computer to check out our banking info. I walk in the door just as he get our account information up and guess what we discover, four unauthorized purchases done just that day (the 23rd)!!! The first one was to Yahoo Wallet (a pay-pal type thing), christianmingle.com, Flowers, and GoTrust (a website that lets you surf below the tracking zone). We quickly cancel our cards and then have to wait until the morning to talk to the bank.

As the bank was reviewing our account this morning they noticed that on the 18th there was a probe into our account via itunes for a song that was never purchased. What that means is that whoever got our card info probed through itunes to see if we had money. Anyway, they are taking care of this mess and are crediting us back all of our stolen funds. I really hope we can find the source for this.....creepy huh. Thank goodness I went shopping too. Had I not, it may have been days before we noticed anything and by that time had a lot more damage done to our account.

NOTE: Yeah, I'm sure you have already put the whole stolen CC number and Christian Mingle and Flowers thing together...how ironic 'eh.

8 comments:

laurie said...

Wow, is there any chance that you or your bank will alert itunes that the breech came through their system. Such a large company would seem so safe! I'm glad you got it all worked out.

Shaela said...

ironic and scary

elements: overexposed said...

How aweful! I'm so glad you found out sooner than later.

Rebecca said...

EEeek! sounds like insult added to injury for the day! :0)

Nicole said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, I hope this week is better.

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, that is scary. Aaron had a guy use his ss# on a cell phone and didn't pay a $4,000 bill. We found out when we were trying to buy a house. It is all good now, but nothing could be done about that mark in our credit back then. I love that you went to Target. It is like the comfort food of shopping.

The Smiths said...

Holy cow- that is insane! I'm having a hard time understanding how the probe happened through iTunes. That makes me paranoid. . .

BETH said...

that is so crazy, good thing you went to target
your kids are getting so big and little Sunny is a doll

Contributors